While most of my writing focuses on the outdoors, travel, and environmental science, I cover a variety of topics. My work has appeared in publications including Outside, National Geographic, Climbing Magazine, and SELF.
12 Mountain Bike Gear Essentials to Get You Started – A roundup of gear for beginner mountain bikers.
SELF, November 2021
Coronavirus Is Forcing America’s ‘Halloween Towns’ to Make Scary Decisions – Five different Halloween Towns and how they’re handling COVID-19.
National Geographic, October 2020
The Mourning Cloak Butterfly Means Spring in the Bay Area – The mourning cloak butterfly is one of the longest living butterflies.
Bay Nature, May 2020.
- Essential Climbing Knots You Should Know and How to Tie Them – Six different knots with explanations and instructions. Gear Junkie, September 2020
- John Kelly Completes The Grand Round – Roughly 185 miles of running, 84,000 feet of elevation gain, and over 400 miles of biking. Trail Runner, September 2020
- How to Plan the Perfect Car Camping Date – Step-by-step instructions for having the best time possible. Outside Magazine, August 2020
- The Ultimate Car Camping Checklist – Camping essentials checklist plus extras for glamping. Gear Junkie, July 2020
- The Mod Squad – Meet the tireless climbers establishing moderate sport routes around the country. Feature in Climbing Magazine, Summer 2020
- Interview: Olympic Bouldering Chief Route-Setter Percy Bishton – Q&A with Percy Bishton. Climbing Magazine, February 2020
- Climbing in the 2020 Olympics, Explained – The format and how climbers qualify for the Olympics. Outside Magazine, April 2019
- Adam Ondra Almost Onsights Salathè Wall – Finally, the Czech climber shows us that he might be human after all. Outside Magazine, November 2018
- Robyn Erbesfield-Raboutou – I profiled Erbesfield-Raboutou, ABC Kid’s head couch. Climbing Magazine, January/December 2018
- Coronavirus Is Forcing America’s ‘Halloween Towns’ to Make Scary Decisions – How Five different Halloween Towns are handling COVID-19. National Geographic, October 2020
- What Your Long-Distance Partner Really Wants This Year – Holiday Gift Guide roundup for long-distance couples. Outside Magazine, December 2019.
- The 33 Best Trips of 2019 – I wrote the trip description for #21, South Carolina. Outside Magazine, March/April 2019.
- The Mourning Cloak Butterfly Means Spring in the Bay Area – A story about the mourning cloak butterfly. Bay Nature, May 2020
- When Weather Becomes More Than Small Talk – Environmental article about climate change. The Flat Hat, March 2016
- Going Green and Gold: An Introduction – Introduction to environmental column. The Flat Hat, February 2016
- A new wave of remote workers could bring lasting change to pricey rental markets – Reported article about remote work and housing. City Monitor, July 2020
- In This Age of Social Distancing, May We Recommend Snail Mail? – USPS reporting and 15 postcard roundup. SELF, May 2020
- Muscarelle showcases professors’ artwork – Event coverage for university professor art exhibit. The Flat Hat, November 2015
- 12 Mountain Bike Gear Essentials to Get You Started – A roundup of gear for beginner mountain bikers. SELF, November 2021
- 16 Bike Helmets for Women That Cyclists Love and Recommend – Roundup of the best bike helmets according to cyclists. SELF, January 2021
- What to Look for When Buying a Tent – Tent buying and testing criteria from experts. SELF, October 2020
- Review: Decathlon Quechua 2-Second Easy Tent – An in-depth review of Decathlon’s 2-Second Easy Tent. SELF, October 2020
- The Best Approach Shoes – Roundup of the best approach shoes according to climbers. SELF, August 2020
- The Best Bikes for Women, According to Biking Experts – Bike roundup for women, interviewing several bike experts. SELF, August 2020
- 8 Gifts for Mother’s Day That Aren’t Flowers – A gift guide for mother’s day with outdoor gear. Outside Magazine, April 2020
- We Got This Gym Climbing Kit for Under $150 – I tested and reviewed Decathlon’s budget climbing gear. Outside Magazine, December 2019
Looking for my copywriting, SEO, and marketing content? See my outdoor copywriting services.